Thursday 3 October 2024

Wherever You Go by Sunil Gangopadhyay (Tumi Jekhanei Jao)

 Wherever You Go

                            Sunil Gangopadhyay 

Wherever you go

I am with you

Did you not hear the breathing?

Like cranes fly in the air

Stars transform their places in moon light

Being a tourist you went to Karshiyang

Did you not hear the other sound of feet?

Who removed the lock of hairs on a side of your cheek with a blow?

 

You are brave

You keep open your all windows

You hold a comb before a mirror in midnight

The way Botticelli had painted the night-gown worn portrait.

I see your slender figure behind the darkness of louver  

The indifferent writings of lips

Slight ups and downs of bosom

Not a begger, nor a thief or ghost

I stay with you like guard all night

When I see you, more than see you,

When I do not see you.

 

The way withered garlands say that who came

Sparrows know

For whom I have been waiting for

Cardamom seeds know

Whose lips are to be scented

You are busy, you are alone, you like hidings of inner side

I scream like a monk

Give a sight of you, give a sight of you

Afterwards I wipe my eyes

I say smilingly

Wherever you go, I am with you. 



Translated by Suman Das

Original poem Tumi Jekhanei Jao by Sunil Gangopadhyay 


No comments:

Post a Comment