Friday 27 September 2024

English Translation of Keu Kotha Rakheni by Sunil gangopadhyay

Nobody Kept Words 

                                - Sunil Gangopadhyay 

It is an epoch-making poetry written by eminent poet Sunil Ganopadhyay who composed several volumes of poetry and prose in Bengali literature. The original name of this poem is Keu Kotha Rakheni, which I dared to render it in English language. Review and criticism are acceptable for this rendering version. 


Nobody kept words, thirty three years spent, nobody kept words

In childhood a Bostumi suddenly pausing her arrival song, said

She would come and sing the last part of it on the day of twelfth moon

But many moon and dark nights came and gone

Yet that Bostumi did not return

I had been waiting for twenty five years.

 

Nader Ali, the fisher man of my maternal uncle’s house had said, ”Grow up, Dadathakur”

I will take you to the lake of three tides

Where snake and bees play on the head of lotus

Nader Ali, how much grown I be?

My head is already pierced the roof of this room to touch the sky

Then you will take me to?

 

I had never bought any royal candy

The children of Laskar house had sucked up the sticked-candies showing us

I had seen the Rasa festival standing outside the gate like a begger

In the midst of many known colours golden bracelets worn fair girls had laughed in amusements

But never they looked back my way!

Father once touching my shoulder said, see,

One day we will also..

Now father is blind, nothing was seen by us

That royal candy, that sticked-candy, that Rasa festival

Nobody will return me those!

 

Resting a scented handkerchief on the chest Baruna had said

The day you love me truly

That day my chest also be filled with fragrance like attar

For love I held my life in the fist of hand

Waving red cloth in the eyes of running bull

Scouring the materialistic world I found one hundred eight Blue lotuses

Baruna, yet, did not keep her words,

Her chest, now, scents like flesh

Still she is any woman

Nobody kept words, thirty three years spent, nobody keep words.   



*Bostumi - a female vaishnabite or devotee or follower of vishnu. It is a community of Vaishnab followers. They go for alms door to door singing many devotional song. 
* Dadathakur - an affectionate addressing towards kids. 
* Blue Lotus - a sacred flower of Hindu religion. Lord Ram used it. 



Translated by Suman Das 
Original Poem- Keu Kotha Rakheni 

No comments:

Post a Comment