Saturday 5 June 2021

Aryanak

 It had been about fifteen or sixteen years ago. Having passed B A, I was there in Kolkata. There were no jobs available searching many places. 


It was occasion of Saraswati Puja. Manager of the mess continually giving us As I had been here since long days 


It was an occasion of Saraswati Puja. Since been in mess long days I had not taken out, but giving message after message continually the manager of the mess kept me annoyed. Constructing an idol of Saraswati puja is going on--- pompousness is not bad, rising up in morning I am just thinking today everything is off, one or two places gave me a ray of hope, so it will be of useless to go somewhere, rather I should wander about for idols. 


Jagganath, servant of mess, at this time has given me a letter. I read the letter and it was of message of manager. Today in matter of puja good foods and meals arranged and I should give at least ten rupees for that as rent of two months are due. I should go another place, otherwise, if not given or paid. 


The matter is right, but asset of mine is about two rupees and some franks. Giving no reply I left the mess. The music of puja is playing on at places, teenagers are making hue and cry at the junction of lanes, a variety of foods are put in style at sweet seller Abhay---- sounds of Sanai are playing on at the gate of college over the highroad. Crowds of people are coming from market buying garlands of flower and elements of puja. 


I thought where to go. It had been about one year I had left the job of the school of Jodasankho and now in free hands---- not in free hands, there are no merchant offices left, no schools, no offices of newspaper, no rich men's houses left, where I had not gone for one time, but everyone gave me the same dialogue.


All of a sudden, I met Satish. I used to live with Satish in Hindu Hotel. Now he is an advocate from Alipur, it doesn't seem he earns more, there is a private tuition on the side of Ballygaunge helps him as a boat to survive in the sea of mundane. At least a boat is beyond thinking for me, a broken wood from ship is not available, as far I am sinking in---- but watching Satish I forgot of me. I forgot because Satish asked me hey Satish, where are you going? Let's go to watch the idol of Saraswati at Hindu Hotel, that old place of ours. And in evening a big function arranged-- come. Remember that Abinash from six no ward, that boy of a Jamindar from Moymonsingha, now he is  a big singer. He would sing song, and had given me a card --- as I do work for them one or more times in their estate. Come, he will be pleased watching you. 


At the time of college, five or six years ago, we wanted nothing but entertainment ---- still that attitude of mind did not go off.  Having gone to watch idol at Hindu Hotel I received an invitation for launch. Because lots of familiar boys from our county stay here, and they did not wish me left. I said--- function would be on afternoon, so now what! I shall take launch from mess. 


They did not pay me heed. 


If they heard me, I must have starved that day of Saraswati puja. Going there I might not eat after receiving such a letter full of harsh word from manager --- while I did not pay a money. This is enough --- eating much full of belly I went after function at period of afternoon. The entertainment of student life before three years returned to me again --- who remembers --- whether I received a job or not, whether mess manager is in swelled face or not. Sinking away in the sea of Thungri or Kirtan I forgot that if the debt was not paid I might have to eat air next morning. The function comes to end at 11 of clock. The meeting happened between us, we were heads of debating club in living of Hindu Hostel --- once we had made Sir Gurudas Bandyopadhyay secretary. The topic was "Mandatory Change of Religion Learning in School- College". Abinash was dealer and I the hero was against it. Secretary made opinion o our side after great debate on both side. We became friends from that time--- though it was the first meeting after passed college. 


Abinash said ---- let's go, I have a car --- make you arrived. Where do you stay? 


He said at getting me off the door of mess ---- listen, tomorrow at 4 pm you shall drink tea in my house at Harrington Street. Do not forget. Thirty three oblique two. Put it down notebooks. 


Next day I found Harrington Street and also his home. House is not of huge size, but there was garden in front and back. There over the gate hanging Weestoria branch, a Nepali guard is there and a plate of brass. Curvy road of red brick --- green lawn at one side of road, at another side of road Muchukundu Champa and Mango tree of great lengths. A big motor car at parking place. There is no ways to not seem that it is a house of rich man from any perspectives. 

Ascending the stairs meet a drawing room. Abinash sat me in room with affection and immediately we sank in our old days conversation. Father of Abinash is a respected Jamindar in Moymonsingha but they recently are not in Kolkata house. His father went in county on the marriage of one of his cousins last month --- still they had not arrived here. 


After variety of talks Abinash said -- what are you doing now Satya? 


I said I would do teaching at Jodasankho School, now recently I am out of jobs. Thinking of not doing more any teaching and seeking for another ways --- moreover, hopes are rising on two places. 


Hopes of gaining some jobs are not true, but Abinash is son of rich man, they possess great estate. I pretended so that he could not understand that I have been asking for a job. 


Abinash thought and said --- it would not take long time to get a job for such a perfect man. I have a word to say, you had read Laws also, aren't? 

I said --- passed also, but doing job of an advocate lacked my intelligence. 

Abinash said --- we have a jungle area in district of Purnia. There are almost twenty or thirty thousand acre plot. We have a person there but we cannot depend on believing him about plots. We are seeking for a perfect person, will you? 


I know the fact ear sometimes deceive  man. Abinash says what! I had been seeking for what since one year in lanes and roads of Kolkata, at the invite of tea I got absolutely an offer for job unwanted. 


Still it a matter of self respect. With so much moderation, curbing jolly of mind, indifferently said, okay, let me give sometime to think. Are you staying here? 


Abinash an ebullient and frank person, said ---- brass aside the thinking. I am writing a letter to father. We are finding a trusty person. Lazy employee for Jamindar we do not want --- because they proven almost thieves. Sophisticated and intelligent person like you we want there. We share JUNGLE AREA with new men. It is of thirty thousand acre. So responsible a work cannot be handed over whoever else. As familiarity with you since long days, we know your details of being. You just get agreed, soon I to give you appointment letter from father.

No comments:

Post a Comment